Our idea of a perfect (socially-distanced) weekend away?
A juicy book, a quiet corner and the perfect tote -- especially one with a hefty 30 lb. load capacity that will not only handle the aforementioned book with ease (War and Peace included), but also just the right amount of clothes and sundry items too.
Designed, cut, sewn and finished by hand in the nation's capital, the Laird features hand stitched handles and wax-coated linen thread. Finished with a brass tone zipper and solid brass strap hardware, a removable shoulder strap allows you to tote this beauty in a variety of stylish ways.
Made from super soft natural leather, subtle variations in color and markings vary from piece to piece depending on the hide from which it was produced. These organic variations ensure that each stylish, delightfully practical Laird sports its own unique character.
- Black pebble leather & slate gray suede
- Size: 23" x 14" x 7"
- Brass tone zipper; solid brass hardware w/removable strap
- Wax-coated linen thread; unlined
- 30 lb. load bearing capacity
- Each handcrafted piece is 100% unique, using only natural cow leather hides. Subtle organic variations may be visible and vary from piece to piece
- Designed, cut, sewn & finished by hand in Washington, DC
- Made in USA
Shipping + Returns
Per your choice of method at checkout, this item is processed + shipped in 1-2 Business Days.
- If applicable: shipping, promo codes + sales tax (Calif. only) are calculated at checkout.
- Firecracker partners with USPS, UPS, DHL + FedEx to deliver your items.
- When your order departs our facility, you will receive a confirmation email with exact Carrier + Tracking information.
- For complete details, please see Shipping + Delivery. For global orders, check out our International FAQs.
Gladly accepted for refund, exchange, or store credit within 14 Days of Delivery.
- Refunds made in the form of your original payment. Gift recipients receive store credit.
- Excluding damage claims or returns as a result of our error, shipping fees are not included.
- Sale, Gift Card, and Custom/Personal Care Items are "Final Sale". No returns/exchange.
- For complete details, please review our easy Return Policy.
We stand behind the quality of all our goods. Full stop.
That's our promise to you, because we want you to love what you order. But just in case you're not thoroughly delighted with your purchase, we'll do everything we can as quickly as possible to make things right.
Made by hand in
Carolyn Misterek began exploring leatherwork after studying oil painting in art school and later completing her Master's Degree in Art History. She launched Matine in 2012, and quickly cultivated a following for her quiet, yet evocative design-driven point of view.
Based on the French word "matin" -- “in the morning” -- and the idea of "clean slates and clear potential that morning conjures up", her sharp collection of minimalist shoulder bags and natural leather clutches are overtly architectural in nature. Yet a distinctly human component, one that comes from making every single piece by hand, is never a simple afterthought.
As she said in Washingtonian Magazine: "That’s not the kind of minimalism that I’m going for. I think of it as minimalism in the context of real life. When you see the people carrying these bags you know they have busy, messy lives -- but maybe they are carrying just a little piece of calm, a little piece of simplicity.”
Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity... but always with a twist to keep it interesting. There's kind of an electricity you can really feel when you finally get the design right.
Designer Carolyn Misterek
Enjoy Complimentary Standard Shipping on all jewelry orders within the United States.
Do you need it there faster?
Expedited + Express are available too.
Of course, we've all been there.
We gladly welcome returns in new original condition for refund, exchange, or store credit within 14 Days of Delivery.